Skip to Main Content
It looks like you're using Internet Explorer 11 or older. This website works best with modern browsers such as the latest versions of Chrome, Firefox, Safari, and Edge. If you continue with this browser, you may see unexpected results.
Request Books and Articles From Other Libraries
If we don't own a particular book or journal article, we can order it for you through Interlibrary Loan.
Books can take up to 2 weeks to arrive at our library, so be sure to do your research early.
Journal articles tend to arrive quicker, usually in 1-3 business days.
Some of our databases provide full-text articles (indicated by a PDF or HTML link after the citation). Others only show you the titles of articles. For these, click Article Linker to find out whether we own the journal in print and/or online. Note the year of the journal article and make sure we own the year you need!
You may set up your Interlibrary Loan account here:
Interlibrary Loan (ILLiad)
Borrow from other libraries with our interlibrary loan system. *Articles & book chapters will be sent electronically and books will be available at the front desk unless you request to have them mailed to you.*
Finding Journal Articles in ATLA
ATLA is a database containing articles from theology journals.
- Click the link below or go to the library homepage and click Search Databases>Popular Databases>ATLA. You can search from off-campus by using your Houndmail login name and password when prompted.
- Your search terms should reflect the person or word you chose.
- Hint: Enter "bible" as an additional keyword.
- Scroll down the search page and click on the following limits to narrow your results:
- Print Holdings
- Full Text
- Language: English
- Publication Type: Article
- To find an article about a Biblical book:
- Enter the book name as a keywrod and enter "bible" as an additional keyword in the second search box.
- Click the Scriptures button on the green toolbar at the top of the page
- Use Next and Previous links to scroll through the pages.
- Click Expand to drill down to a particular passage.
- If you get too many results, use the Subject section on the sidebar to pare down the results list.
Find Theology Articles in Databases
Academic Search Premier
General database for journal articles, not specific to any discipline. Remember to use limits (e.g., English language and Scholarly/Peer-Reviewed Journals) to retrieve relevant results.
Atla Religion Database (ARB)
The go-to source for religion/theology. Remember to use limits (e.g., English language, Article for publication type, and Scholarly Journals) to retrieve relevant results.
TIP: To search for a particular scripture passage, try the "Scriptures" button on the blue toolbar at the top of the screen. Click the “Expand” link next to a book name; then drill down to a particular chapter and then verse.
Biblical Archaeology Society
Access to Biblical Archaeology Review, Bible Review, and Archaeology Odyssey.
A database of over 100 full text scholarly journal including some volumes dating back to the 19th century.
The go-to source for journal articles on philosophy, including some theology. Remember to use limits (e.g., English language and Journal Article for document type) to retrieve relevant results. You must log out of the database (click “Assumption College - Logout” link at the top right corner of the screen) when you are finished searching! If you only close the browser window, you will cut off access to yourself and everyone else on campus for 15 minutes.
Iter: Gateway to the Middle Ages and Renaissance
A bibliography of articles, essays, books, dissertation abstracts, encyclopedia entries and reviews on the Middle Ages and the Renaissance.