Google it! You already know HOW to do this!
- If you read something, verify it by seeing what other sites on Google are saying (both about the claim AND the author).
- If it's a retweet/share: What was the date for the original story?
- Check for previous work: Look around to see if someone else has already fact-checked the claim
Check Wikipedia! Even checking Wikipedia is better than not checking at all.
- Don't know an author? Check Wikipedia. Check Google if there's not a Wikipedia entry. Check what they've written before or what people are saying!
- Wikipedia has a reference list. Check those references.
Reverse Image Search on Google
- Paste or upload the image into Google to see where else the photo appears
- Was it re-used in a different way online? Most web content is NOT original!
Check your own feelings
- Are you feeling emotional? Happy, Sad, Angry? This is a trigger to SHARE without fact checking! Stop, and check the claim.
- Do you have a bias on the topic already. Watch for that too, and check the claims you agree with as much as those you don't.